Whooooooooo! My first ever award nomination! Thank you so much to meetmeinnevada for this special recognition. The Versatile Blogger Award goes to blogs that write that are especially flexible, resourceful, and adaptable. To me, I hope this means that I am being recognized for being able to write to a variety of topics and viewpoints and for creating interest and excitement by being able to change modes and voices. It also means that I should work to continue to honor this by ensuring that I continue to find new perspectives and to continue to write consistently and with quality.
Thank you for this award. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to discover her blog, meetmeinnevada is a wonderful and bright blogger now based in one of my favorite cities in the world, Las Vegas! Her writing is incredibly insightful and does well to capture the feelings of balancing the old world and the new, along with other varied pieces of writing that are equally engaging and beautiful.
- Show the award on your blog
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Share (7) different facts about yourself.
- Nominate (15) blogs of your choice
- Link your nominees
(7) facts about myself
- Before this blog, I have never written publicly. Aside from emails the only other things I wrote were private love letters, and the last time I wrote anything of significant length was in college. I never had the confidence or interest to write on a broader more public venue.
- I used to be a high school English teacher. I left my position to become a travel agent, and after a year I mixed both worlds and became a corporate trainer, traveling around the country training travel agents to sell better and with new technology and programs.
- My ultimate goal is to actually run my own restaurant. I started cooking when I was 15 and when I turned 21 I took bartending classes and built my own bar in the basement of my home. I envision a modern Filipino restaurant using traditional ingredients in more international preparations and techniques. On Sundays when I get an idea for a dish I will buy the ingredients and force my family to be my unwilling guinea pigs.
- I have a very distinct scar on the left side of my face, right beneath my eye. Depending on the time of day and my mood, if you ask me how I got it you will get one of four different stories.
- I love to gamble. I’ve been going to Atlantic City every summer and I usually find myself spending at least five days in Vegas as well. My favorite games to play are Blackjack (Spanish 21 is my favorite variant), Roulette, Let it Ride, and Pai Gow. The most I’ve ever lost in one night is $500. The most I’ve ever won in a night is $1100. I taught my friends how to play and drill them before we ever hit a casino. We have gambling nights at my place to play poker or mahjong.
- I am a very typical first-born child. I am terribly stubborn and do not like to be wrong. I hate to lose. I can at times, especially when hungry, be what is called in Tagalog ‘pikon‘. Loosely translated, uhm, ‘quick-tempered’ and ‘cranky’. But I also like to take care of people and thrive on responsibility. I like to feel needed and live to help others. I am responsible, loyal, and will always help those in need. I was raised to be independent and self-sufficient.
- The best job I ever had was working as assistant manager at my local Blockbuster. It was super chill, I got to know everyone in my town, and I spent every night talking about great movies. I loved making recommendations and having customers come back and tell me how much they loved it or why it didn’t jive with them. When it was slow we would order Chinese food and just watch movies. I was so crushed when it finally closed. One night I took a screwdriver and took down most of the different signage and a few of the shelves and units. I then brought them back home and reassembled it all in the basement so all my movies and video games are on display the same way you’d see it in a Blockbuster.
And the nominees are…(I apologize if you have already been nominated, I mean this is all voluntary anyways so no need to redo)
- Ngobesing Romanus
Man: 51 Loneliness: 17